[BusyBox] Layoff at Lineo...
Erik Andersen
2003-07-19 13:33:18 UTC
As was briefly mentioned in the news yesterday, Lineo had a very large
layoff as a result of the economic downturn here in the U.S. As a result,
I am no longer an employee of Lineo, and Lineo is no longer sponsoring
busybox, tinylogin, or uClibc development. For the moment, these projects
will continue to be hosted on busybox.net as usual. If that ends
up changing, I will be sure to give everyone plenty of warning...

If you need me, you should use <***@codepoet.org> since email to
***@lineo.com isn't going to work very well. I will be updating
the documentation and website to reflect this change.

If anybody knows of a good job for a Linux/uClinux/embedded hacker
I am interested in hearing about it...

-Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen email: ***@debian.org
Glenn McGrath
2003-07-19 13:33:18 UTC
Post by Erik Andersen
up changing, I will be sure to give everyone plenty of warning...
I did read about that, but i though you and busybox would be pretty safe.
It surprises me that lineo doesnt see busybox (and uclibc) to be worth
suporting, i think they should be proud of how far its come since they
took you and the projects onboard... i guess they must be very savage
cuts.

Sourceforge could be a good host for the project ?

I was wondering prior to this if anyone has backups of the the CVS
archive, it has a pretty long history, it would be bad to loose it if
something unexpected did happen.
Post by Erik Andersen
If anybody knows of a good job for a Linux/uClinux/embedded hacker
I am interested in hearing about it...
If you have your financial commitments under control being unemployed can
be quite fullfilling :)
I guess thats a big IF for most people though.

Glenn
Erik Andersen
2003-07-19 13:33:18 UTC
Post by Glenn McGrath
I did read about that, but i though you and busybox would be pretty safe.
It surprises me that lineo doesnt see busybox (and uclibc) to be worth
suporting, i think they should be proud of how far its come since they
took you and the projects onboard... i guess they must be very savage
cuts.
Sourceforge could be a good host for the project ?
I've certainly considered it, though I do have some doubts
about how long VA will be able to keep that going... If we
go to the pain of moving, I'd like it to be only once.
Post by Glenn McGrath
I was wondering prior to this if anyone has backups of the the CVS
archive, it has a pretty long history, it would be bad to loose it if
something unexpected did happen.
I made a backup yesterday, just in case...
Post by Glenn McGrath
Post by Erik Andersen
If anybody knows of a good job for a Linux/uClinux/embedded hacker
I am interested in hearing about it...
If you have your financial commitments under control being unemployed can
be quite fullfilling :)
:-)

I'm planning on spending a bit of time enjoying having time
off and no boss telling me what to do. As you've probably
noticed, I havn't been given much time for busybox
recently...
Post by Glenn McGrath
I guess thats a big IF for most people though.
I'm in pretty good shape. I can probably go 6 months or so
without needing to work (at the cost of eating up my savings
and annoying my wife ;). I also have some consulting work
I've been doing on the side that (when finished) will let me
go several more months if I need to.

-Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen email: ***@debian.org
Glenn McGrath
2003-07-19 13:33:18 UTC
On Sat, 8 Sep 2001 11:02:07 -0600
Post by Erik Andersen
Post by Glenn McGrath
I did read about that, but i though you and busybox would be pretty safe.
It surprises me that lineo doesnt see busybox (and uclibc) to be worth
suporting, i think they should be proud of how far its come since they
took you and the projects onboard... i guess they must be very savage
cuts.
Sourceforge could be a good host for the project ?
I've certainly considered it, though I do have some doubts
about how long VA will be able to keep that going... If we
go to the pain of moving, I'd like it to be only once.
Yea, the community is very dependent on sourceforge, it would shake things
up a fair bit if everyone had to move.

cvs.debian.org is always there, but i guess thats going to be a problem
for non debian commiters,

There is http://savannah.gnu.org/ which looks like its using sourceforge
software, not sure if they have to be official GNU projects though ?

Glenn
Aaron Lehmann
2003-07-19 13:33:18 UTC
http://savannah.gnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=123
David Kimdon
2003-07-19 13:33:18 UTC
Post by Glenn McGrath
cvs.debian.org is always there, but i guess thats going to be a problem
for non debian commiters,
I don't see the problem. I had cvs-write access to cvs.debian.org before
becoming a Debian developer. I think cvs.debian.org would be a fine place.
I doubt busybox/uclibc/tinylogin would need to move again, the only thing
that would cause that would be Debian disappearing; Debian has a fairly
long history hostory already and it will exist as long as there are people
happy to work on it.

-David
David Douthitt
2003-07-19 13:33:18 UTC
Post by David Kimdon
I doubt busybox/uclibc/tinylogin would need to move again, the only thing
that would cause that would be Debian disappearing; Debian has a fairly
long history hostory already and it will exist as long as there are people
happy to work on it.
Never say never. Recently SuSe had to be bailed out of near-bankruptcy,
and VA made drastic cuts that appeared to threaten SourceForge, and now
Lineo went through not one but two serious cutbacks. What (or who) is
next?

How do these goings-on reflect about affairs at Caldera, who just
acquired SCO?
Glenn McGrath
2003-07-19 13:33:18 UTC
On Mon, 10 Sep 2001 07:15:41 -0400
Post by David Douthitt
Post by David Kimdon
I doubt busybox/uclibc/tinylogin would need to move again, the only thing
that would cause that would be Debian disappearing; Debian has a fairly
long history hostory already and it will exist as long as there are people
happy to work on it.
Never say never. Recently SuSe had to be bailed out of near-bankruptcy,
and VA made drastic cuts that appeared to threaten SourceForge, and now
Lineo went through not one but two serious cutbacks. What (or who) is
next?
How do these goings-on reflect about affairs at Caldera, who just
acquired SCO?
Debian is a project, so it cant go bankrupt.
Membership has grown dramatically over the last 2 years, aproaching 1000
developers now, so people are happy to work on it.

Glenn
Glenn McGrath

Glenn
David Douthitt

acquired SCO?
Aaron Lehmann
2001-09-08 17:13:10 UTC
David Kimdon

-David
Glenn McGrath

Glenn
Erik Andersen

Erik B. Andersen email: andersee at debian.org
Richard June
2003-07-19 13:33:18 UTC
If for any reason it does change, I would be happy to provide
web-space/etc for busybox, tinylogin, and uClibc. I've not been active on
the list for a while(too busy w/ new distribution to do much w/ bb et.
all), but I've been keeping tabs on what's going on.
Aaron Lehmann
2003-07-19 13:33:18 UTC
Do you know if Manuel is still there and whether he will continue
working on BusyBox?
Manuel Novoa III
2003-07-19 13:33:18 UTC
Aaron,
Post by Aaron Lehmann
Do you know if Manuel is still there and whether he will continue
working on BusyBox?
I don't have any connection to Lineo. I work on uClibc and busybox
purely as a hobby. I just haven't had any time to devote to them
lately.

Manuel
Aaron Lehmann
2003-07-19 13:33:18 UTC
Okay, sorry. Your email address mislead me.
Aaron Lehmann
2001-09-08 23:12:40 UTC
Manuel Novoa III

Manuel
Adam Heath
2003-07-19 13:33:18 UTC
Post by David Douthitt
Post by David Kimdon
I doubt busybox/uclibc/tinylogin would need to move again, the only thing
that would cause that would be Debian disappearing; Debian has a fairly
long history hostory already and it will exist as long as there are people
happy to work on it.
Never say never. Recently SuSe had to be bailed out of near-bankruptcy,
and VA made drastic cuts that appeared to threaten SourceForge, and now
Lineo went through not one but two serious cutbacks. What (or who) is
next?
Debian is neither connected to money, or a single entity. We have moved most
services around, so that only one provider/hoster is doing one major
service(brainfood is an exception, we host lists.d.o and bugs.d.o).

At several times in our(debian's) past we have had to move major services
between providers, even so far as going across country/continent lines. I
don't think debian will disappear 'in an instant.'
Erik Andersen
2001-09-08 14:57:47 UTC

If you need me, you should use <andersen at codepoet.org> since email to
andersen at lineo.com isn't going to work very well. I will be updating

Glenn McGrath

Glenn
Richard June
2001-09-08 17:17:50 UTC
Aaron Lehmann
2001-09-08 17:20:21 UTC
Do you know if Manuel is still there and whether he will continue
working on BusyBox?
Adam Heath